Elks Aidmore Inc. is located
in Conyers, Georgia on 141 rolling acres. The property was originally a part of
the estate of Colleen Moore, a star of the silent screen in the 1930's. During
the premiere of "Gone With The Wind", it is reported Ms. Moore hosted a cast party
on the third floor of what is now the Administration Building. During the 1940's,
1950's and early 1960's, the property was owned by the Free Methodist Church,
operating the Jolly Home, a program for orphaned children. In the late 1960's
the property was secured by the France Wood Wilson Foundation, who continued to
operate a children's program known as Plantation Manor.
the 1930's the Georgia Elks had responded to the distressing cries of Georgia's
crippled children and established the Crippled Children's League. The Crippled
Children's League served physically handicapped children through outpatient service
until 1954, when the first patient was admitted into the newly built Aidmore Hospital
in Atlanta. Increased competition in the Atlanta area forced the closing of the
hospital in 1976, with the hospital being sold to Emory University. The closing
of the hospital left the Elks Lodges and Auxiliaries of Georgia looking for a
new mission focusing on the current needs of children.
this time, the Frances Wood Wilson Foundation was also going through changes.
With a renewed emphasis on grant-making and related philanthropies, and no longer
wanting to be involved in the day-to-day operations of a children's program, the
foundation began searching for a new owner of Plantation Manor. With the assistance
of a mutual friend, trustees of Elks Aidmore and Plantation Manor were introduced.
In 1977, the property was deeded to Elks Aidmore, with the provision that the
program continue to serve children in need. The home was renamed Elks Aidmore
Since 1977 Elks Aidmore has undergone many
changes. In 1985, the name changed from Elks Aidmore Children's Home to Elks Aidmore
Children's Center. In 1992, the program serving both a male and female population
was closed. In 1993, the program reopened as a basic care program serving only
female adolescents. In 1996, Elks Aidmore co-founded the Metropolitan Atlanta
Alliance of Children. The program received national accreditation through the
Council on Accreditation for Family and Children Services in 1996 and was reaccredited
in 2000, 2004 and 2008.
What has not changed in the storied
history of Elks Aidmore, is the commitment and dedication of the Georgia Elks
and Auxiliaries to make a difference in the lives of children and youth throughout
the state of Georgia.